House fire burns in Vader

House fire burns in Vader

The remains of the house fire in Vader.

Friday in Vader was not a usual day, there was a house fire which drew a lot of attention. At approximately 11:02 a.m., members of the Cowlitz-Lewis Fire District #20 were dispatched to a reported structure fire at 810 E St. which is in the city limits of Vader. Initial reports from Central Dispatch advised that the residence was fully engulfed in flames. This was a home that had burned before in 2017.

When fire district 15 arrived on the scene a single-story wooden residence with flames showing was observed. Units from Lewis County Fire District #2 and Lewis County Fire District #5 arrived and assisted with the extinguishment of the fire. There were approximately ten firefighters on the scene from different fire districts.

The hard work of the fire department helped extinguish the fire within an hour. It was contained in about an hour and firefighters stayed on scene until 3:00 p.m.

There was a resident staying on the property in a travel trailer. As in our small communities, the occupant was removed by his neighbors. He was taken to the hospital in a privately owned vehicle to be checked. His condition is unknown at the time of print. No other injuries were reported.

Cowlitz/Lewis Fire Chief Richard Underdahl stated, "The fire could not have been successfully extinguished without the mutual aid agencies, we appreciate their help! The value of loss with both the home and trailer are unknown at this time."

The residence was involved in a previous fire in 2017 and was still standing, but not inhabited.

A fire investigator was called and responded to the scene. The incident is under investigation.